Ultimate Search Engine Optimization Checklist
Written by: Mary Fisher
By Mary Fisher, Fisher Design and Advertising
31 steps to ensure your website ranks
- Set up Google Analytics.
- Set up Google Tag Manager. Install tag on website.
- Set up Google Search Console (previously known as Google Webmaster Tools).
- Set up Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Perform keyword research.
- Install Yoast to your WordPress Website.
- Add keyword phrases into page title, meta description, H1 header and throughout copy. If your business is city specific, add the main cities in each.
- Program keyword into URL, if possible.
- Have only one H1 header per page.
- Make sure you have at last 100 words per page; 500+ is best. Use keyword at least 3 times.
- Optimize your site for audible search. Answer questions people may ask Alexa or Siri: who is the best…
- Use synonyms in your copy.
- Add alt tags to all images.
- Add photo captions with keywords to as many images as possible.
- Name photos using good keywords.
- Cross link your pages to other pages within your website, from SEO-rich anchor text. Cross link bulleted list of services from home to other pages.
- Evaluate your competitors ranking and back links.
- Regularly update your website copy and blogs.
- Contribute articles on other websites relevant to your business.
- Check Google Search console for bad links, crawl errors or 302 redirect errors.
- Make sure you don’t have duplicate copy or duplicate meta data. Never duplicate copy from another website.
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly
- Make sure your site is ADA compliant
- Use Schema markup.
- Check site’s load speed and install caching software plug-in
- Create sitemap and submit to Google and Bing.
- Create robots.txt file and submit to Google console.
- Make sure your site does not have noindex or nofollow codes on pages you want Google to see.
- Set up as many social media channels as possible with links to your website.
- Set up as many directories as possible with links to your website. Yext is good for this. For example: Yelp, White pages, Yellow pages, trade organizations.
- Optimize your Google My Business Listing and update often. Ask your clients to give you five star reviews and send them the link to do so.
Mary Fisher, founder of Fisher Design Advertising and Public Relations, a Jacksonville Florida marketing professional whose business just celebrated 30 years success. Fisher Design – specializing in digital and traditional marketing: social media, websites, PR, SEO, logos, brochures, marketing strategies – common sense marketing in a noisy world. The marketing firm can be reached at MaryFisherDesign.com